Friday, August 14, 2009





This morning, I woke up to the call of prayer, again. We've now been here for a week and I can say that I able to sleep through the night (aside from the call to prayer). Although we've only been here one week, it feels like we've been here much longer. We jumped right into work, and have had a little time to explore the town. Life in Malawi is very different. Of course, you might say, but even though I knew it would be different, once we got here it was still difficult. We ARE enjoying it here and glad to be where God wants us, but sometimes it's hard. Power goes off and on every day and water has been off at least once a day (thankfully not in the morning so we can take showers.) All the little things that I took for granted, I now cherish! I didn't realize how much I relied on water to get me through the day. One of my favorite places that I've been to so far is the market. It's filled with people going about their business, kids running up to you asking if they can carry your bags for you (a way for them to make a little money), and asking to be your "watchman" for your car (I've been going with a friend who has a car). Although hectic and busy, the market is the best place to buy produce. It's cheap and that's why we are becoming vegetarian (for most of the year). The picture above, is of a little bridge someone built to go across to the clothes side of the market, and they got the bright idea to charge people to go across. They charge 20 quacha, which is equivalent to 7 cents. :o) We've both been working really hard at our jobs. Derek has been organizing and cleaning out the gym, and getting ready for all the sports, while I have been decorating the classroom, organizing, and looking through curriculum. I part of me wishes we could go out and explore more, but then I again, I know we're here to serve the students at the school, and that we need to work hard in our classrooms, in order to go around town, explore, meet people, and do different things. Thanks for following along in our adventure here in Malawi, and be sure to keep checking back for new posts and pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment